3DTV is here! This message shows up on my DirecTV receiver/DVR yesterday:
Wow! 25 World cup soccer games in 3D! Wait a minute, I think I see some dead pixels on my current HDTV.
posted in Gadgets, HDTV, Technology |
Software and Tools
- Looking for a free sharepoint host? You can get a free sharepoint account with 5MB disk space, 5 users from Frontpages Web Hosting Network. Link is here.
- The HD format war is over. I am waiting for Blu-ray players go go down to the $150 range before I’ll get one.
And Now, Something A Little Different
posted in Dotnet/.NET - C#, HDTV, Programming, Technology |
.NET, C#, Programming
Software and Tools
- Jeff Atwood shared the Top Five Browser Shortcuts Everyone Should Know. I didn’t know about the middle mouse button browser shortcut. Very useful.
- Reading Nazmul Idris’ post on Microsoft OneNote 2007 prompted me to try it myself…. and I loved it. It’s a great application to keep track of notes, journal entries, work logs, etc. It’s going to be an essential app for me from now on.
I especially like offline mode support for USB flash drives. You can keep your Notebooks on a flash memory card. OneNote automatically synchronizes its local cache with the flash card when the card is inserted. When not inserted, you can still work on the local cached copy.
What I don’t like: no VBA macro support. One of the first thing I tried was pressing ALT+F11 to bring up the VBA IDE… nothing happened. A quick search in Online Help confirmed my sinking feeling: no VBA support. Supposedly, you can write add-ins.
Windows Mobile/Pocket PC
- Watch dolphins blowing circles made of air bubbles.
posted in Dotnet/.NET - C#, Gadgets, HDTV, Programming, Technology, Windows Mobile / Pocket PC |
Here are the finds for this week.
- Mike Duncan wrote a nice article on 3 hot uses for HttpContext.Current.Items “They” won’t tell you about. Wish I had thought about this 6 months ago when I was trying to implement a "static" variable that only lasts for the duration of the page request.
- Too busy with real work to read up on the soon to be released Visual Studio 2008 (by end of November)? Daniel Moth has put together a summary the top 10 things to know about VS 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5 here.
- For Oracle developers, check out Gojko Adzic’s article on the new function result caching feature in Oracle 11.
- Java and .NET to drive double-digit wage growth. Yes double-digit wage growth! That should happen more often. By Gavin Clarke via regdeveloper.co.uk.
- Doug Stewart wrote another comprehensive article on new features of Visual Studio 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5.
- There’s something slow, in your program flow. Who you’re gonna call? Profilers of course . M has put together a detailed article of how to use the ANTS profiler. Also check out Improving .NET Application Performance and Scalability by J.D. Meier, Srinath Vasireddy, Ashish Babbar, and Alex Mackman.
- Marquee de Sells has several interesting points on the consequences of working for Microsoft remotely.
Software and Tools
Vector Magic is the probably best bitmap tracing tool currently available. Check out the amazing samples. Free!
Resharper is a great productivity and code analysis add-in for Visual Studio. It’s the only add-in I currently use. My top 5 favorite Resharper features are:
- On the fly error/warning checking (squiggly lines). See problems with your code as you type them.
- Refactor (Rename, Extract Method, Introduce Field, etc. )
- Goto Type/File/File Member. Fastest way to navigate. Every class, file, or method is only a few keystrokes away.
- Find Usages. Find what is using a class/method/property. Great for finding code dependencies. Indispensable for learning a new application you are not familiar with.
- Reformat Code.
- Enhanced Intellisense.
Windows Live Writer is a windows editor for blog posts. Your drafts are saved locally. Works with WordPress. I like it. This post was written using Windows Live Writer.
- At my work it was announced that we will be switching to "Outlook" from Lotus Notes. We are currently on Notes 6 and it’s the most atrocious of a program I have had the pleasure of using on a daily basis. Some of the most basic features like Search does not even work. Argg! I had to create my own Notes index by periodically exporting all messages to text files so that Windows Search will index them. I can’t wait to get back to Outlook/Exchange.
- Have you wondered why Windows Explorer doesn’t show the size of a folder? Here are the reasons (Raymond Chen via blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing).
And Now, Something Different
I’ve always been skeptical whenever I hear people say or write that we only use 10% of our brain. Well, it looks like there is no scientific evidence to suggest that. Read more here.
posted in Dotnet/.NET - C#, HDTV, Links, Programming, Reviews, Software/tools, Technology |
Ok, I know I live in the ole US of A and nobody here gives two bits about the sport of soccer, but in case you are one of the few that do care…
Watch Ronaldinho, Lionel Messi, and Van Nistelrooy live on Dish Networks/Voom Worldsport HD! U.S. soccer fans now can view live coverage of Spanish League soccer, starting with the 2006-2007 season. Read rews release here. Yeah! It’s about time we get some real soccer around these parts. More info can be found on Worldsport HD web site.
posted in HDTV |