Being a news junky that I am, I love being able to listen to the news while driving around, or even while at the beach. I have found that my Samsung i730 Windows Mobile phone, in conjunction with the unlimited EDVO data plan from Verizon Wireless, let me watch the news in glorious color, virtually anywhere. Yes, there is just something neat about being able to watch BBC World News while sitting alone on a empty beach at night. Perhaps it’s the combination of being far away from civilization, yet at the same time connected to the world.
iPhone owners, sorry… no streaming videos for you. But you’re probably too busy looking at the phone itself, admiring its beauty, to have time for anything else anyway.
(Oops, my iPhone envy is showing.)
Below are my favorite video streams for your enjoyment (updated Jan 18, 2008).
- CNN International – Major (original) US cable news network.
- BBC News – World news.
- BBC News – World news summary.
- Bloomberg TV – 24-hour business and financial news network.
- CNBC – Business headlines and provide live coverage of financial markets.
- MSNBC – 24-hour cable news.
- Sky News – UK and world news.
- ABC News – Major US broadcast news network.
- CSpan 1 – Coverage of US government proceedings.
- CSpan 2
- CSpan 3
- Weather+ – US and Canada weather forecasts).
For more channels, go to:
I only tested the above links on my i730, they should work for other Windows Mobile devices such as Verizon XV6700, or the new MOTO Q 9m.
WARNING - After further research, I found that Verizon’s EVDO policy officially prohibits video streaming, so there is a chance that if you use too much bandwidth, they may decide to terminate your account. So, use video streaming at your own risk! The limit seems to be about 10GB. You can monitor your data usage by logging into the Verizon Wireless’ My Account service. There is apparently also a way to monitor your data usage with a Verizon software application called VZAccess Manager.
Verizon has just settled with New York regard its practice of terminating users who exceeds “unlimited” bandwidth.
Refreshed links. Fixed link to Streaming PDA.